Three main research categories:
- long-term monitoring of greenhouse gases concentrations development.
- measurement of physical and chemical properties of aerosols
study of concentration changes and long-range transport of atmospheric pollutants.
Measurement of greenhouse gases concentration
- Long-term measurement to determine development and height variation of concentration, long-range transport and determination of greenhouse gas sources.
- Contribute to meeting the objectives of the European research infrastructure ICOS (Integrated Carbon Observation System):
- understanding the current state and anticipating the future behaviour of the global carbon cycle and greenhouse gas emissions
- determination of carbon capture efficiency of ecosystems
- designing and evaluating activities leading to greenhouse gas emission reductions (by sources, geographic areas and sectors of human activity)
- Providing data to databases ICOS Carbon Portal and EBAS.
Measurement of physical and chemical aerosol properties
- Investigation of the effects of atmospheric aerosols on processes of climate change, air pollution and study of the formation and transformation of aerosols.
- From 2018, the extension of ground measurements at the research infrastructure by measurements of vertical concentration profiles of aerosol particles (measuring platforms at specific heights up to 230 m) and atmospheric aerosol flows through the eddy covariance method.
- Studies using a new container on a mast at a height of 230 m will produce results on the vertical gradient of chemical and physical parameters of aerosols such as aerosol light absorption, aerosol count concentration, and aerosol size distribution.
- Contribution to the research of changes in the radiation balance depending on the properties of aerosols and clouds.
- Providing data to databases EBAS and ISKO (Air Quality information system).
Research of atmospheric pollutants
- Monitoring the vertical concentration gradient of tropospheric ozone and total gaseous mercury depending on various factors (e.g. different atmospheric conditions).
- Investigation of long-range transport of total gaseous mercury in the atmosphere and its changes over time.
- Providing data to databases GMOS (Global Mercury Observation System), EBAS and ISKO.